Tuesday, October 8, 2013

" Why Do We ... "


If the weight of this all is too much by now
The rest of my life might be too long.
I know I've changed I watched myself slip away.
I've compromised everything's going to be alright.

Why do we try? 
Why do we try?


Everything's going to be alright.
I compromised.
I compromised.
Everything's going to be alright.

~ Samiam ~ Why Do We ~ 
***



“Why do you blog? ... is it a creative release? ... is it self-promotion? ... is it narcissistic?” ... questions recently asked of me.  And it sure did make me think, 
why DO I blog?  

Well it has become a part of my life now, and although not for money, I started blogging in 2008 when I started a local walking club called WalkStrong.  At that time my intention was to promote health and wellness as I as pursuing my personal training certification.  Today still aligned, my intentions are to promote health and wellness.


Interestingly, blogging has become a profession for some where media events are covered as conduits of communication and associations of expertise.  In a way, bloggers have become the alternative media, less scripted and more raw.


Personally, I use my blog as a tool to convey my messages.  Some use public speaking, others home videos and vlogs ... I see my blog as a network to share and stay connected... in hopes that some of these ideas may provide knowledge and wisdom.  I also hope my blog is a place to keep a record of ideas, to stimulate conversation and even to make a difference.

I recently read that the quest for permanence is what really makes us blog and tweet.  It is what causes us to announce every minute detail to the universe ... the ability to create a permanent record in an non-permanent world.


“ Little by little, the camera in our brain and the pictures stored in our body’s memory have become antiquated. It is a romantic idea, but not a permanent one. The memories we store for ourselves fade. The context of the pictures is lost when we can’t explain it. So we created a hard record of ourselves using the most rock-solid, written-in-ink tool we have: the internet” ... 





I would rather be asked “what does your blog accomplish?” because therein lies an opportunity to make that difference.  Ultimately knowing that one day, all our permanent Internet words will slowly fade, the best I can hope for is that somewhere, some shred of truth and meaning lives in those posts ...



No comments:

Post a Comment