Monday, October 1, 2012

" Seeing things ... "


A hundred years will never ease
Hearing things I won't believe
I saw it with my own two eyes ...

I used to dream
Of better days that never came
Sorry ain't nothin' to me ...
So please I've done my time ...

'Cause I'm seeing things for the first time
I"m seeing things for the first time
Oh I'm seeing things for the first time
Yeah, seeing things for the first time
In my life, in my life ...

Black Crowes ~ Seeing Things ~
***

doctor: “well, this is a perfect check-up ... I don’t say it often but your eyesight has actually gotten better”

me: “oh wow, that’s great! ... do you think it might be all the carrots I juice?”

doctor: “no, no ... that would only help with your eye health, but not with vision”

me: “ oh okay ... well I guess it can’t hurt right?”

doctor: “sure all those vegetables are probably a good thing”

***

Yes, this is actually a real conversation.  One I had last week with my eye doctor during my annual check-up.  Mixed emotions as I was relieved to hear that all was good, yet disappointed that he didn’t feel my current lifestyle & diet had anything to do with it.  Just once, wouldn’t it be nice to have a believer ... open to the possibility that maybe just maybe it could play a part good health?

Now that is not to say that I haven’t met wonderful, supportive health practitioners on my current health journey ... I just remember growing up and hearing “eat your carrots, they are good for your eyes”.  So you’d think juicing 50lbs a week “can’t hurt”?

Let’s see, perhaps a recap of the benefits carrots and juicing them ...

  • juicing carrots allows you to take in more vegetables at one time than you would by eating raw or cooked vegetables
  • carrots have two obvious nutrients vitamin A and beta carotene
    • beta-carotene is also a major antioxidant
    • vitamin A and beta-carotene help maintain vision along with the carrots' fair share of lutein 
    • beta-carotene also maintains epithelial tissue, the tissue surrounding internal organs ... (epithelial tissues are susceptible to cancerous growths)
  • carrots are also rich in poly-acetylene anti-oxidant falcarinol
    • research at the University of Newcastle has shown carrot falcarinol destroys pre-cancerous cells in tumors
    • carrots do help keep cancer away
  • carrots are also rich in B vitamins and folate
    • folate is the natural and safe provider of folic acid
  • carrots help restore the liver - our body’s master cleanser
  • carrot juice has been called the "golden juice of healing"
***

Again ...
doctor: “no, no ... that would only help with your eye health, but not with vision”
me: “ oh okay ... well I guess it can’t hurt right?”

***

Thankfully, over the weekend I shared this story at a neighbours gathering with a friend who is a dietitian.  She seemed about as confused as I did.  She understands the benefits of good nutrition.  I appreciated her openness to this and my health journey.  Not many are and that is okay.  I have learned to pick and choose who to share with ... no need to open yourself up to negativity and fear as I take care of that on my own during my dark times.  And who knows, maybe it was a fluke check-up ... but I heard of another lady, upon successfully completing Gerson, with improved vision.

Nonetheless, it was nice to hear the word “perfect”, as I realized how many conversations are played over and over again in my mind, and how they affect me subconsciously.  What perfection is doesn’t really matter ... just knowing that this path is heading in a positive direction is the key.  


No comments:

Post a Comment