Wednesday, October 24, 2012

" The Human Condition ... "



Why are we here? 
A question that no one will ever answer so think for your self
Don't believe something just because someone told you to and don't be scared into living someone else's way
Don't just say the things you're suppose to say speak for yourself and never give that right away ...

So save it for someone else
Never be afraid to open up your mind and look at the world through someone else's eyes
This is something you should never forget
If so then it's not really your life anymore
Don't just say the things you're suppose to say speak for yourself and never give that right away ...
Speak for yourself

~ Chelsea Grin ~ The Human Condition ~
***

Recently my mom was at a gathering where a friend asked how I was doing.  This prompted a discussion where those not knowing asked “whats wrong with her?”.  Quickly someone replied “oh she is sick”, and another corrected her and said “she isn’t sick, she has a condition”.  As I heard the details I found myself smiling.  It was so refreshing to not be called "sick" but with a condition.  

Maybe for some it doesn’t matter, for me it does.  It makes me cringe.  Tomato, tomatoe??  Does anyone really want to be known as being sick?  Honestly speaking there is a stigma attached to it, especially cancer.  But having a condition, well, this is something you can manage and live with ... just ask so many that are.

One of my doctors always talks to me about truly living life.  He asks me what I want to be remembered for ... and not because we feel the end is near.  Mainly because he wants me to really think about what is holding me back from living a life I am meant to live.  A life we are all meant to live.  

He has said to me “don’t let your struggle become your identity” ... yes, profound.

Living life on purpose is the key.  Yet this is soooooo hard on those really tough days of nasty physical symptoms and emotional turmoil.  But I tell myself that I don’t want the rest of my life to be consumed with my “condition”.  So as those rough times pass, and they do, I come back to the same idea, repeat after me .... living a purposeful life.  So whether it be starting a walk n book club, blogging, writing articles for health publications, or simply being a good, honest human being ... I strive to just do it on purpose.

So if you ever find yourself in a situation where someone has stereotyped you into category, or slotted you into a box ... take a moment and remember you don’t have to believe something just because someone told you and you don’t need to be scared into living someone else’s way.  Because when you look at the world through someone else’s eyes, it’s not really your life anymore, just a borrowed one ... 




No comments:

Post a Comment