Tuesday, April 24, 2012

" From This Moment ... "


From this moment as long as I live
I will love you, I promise you this
There is nothing I wouldn't give
From this moment on
You're the reason I believe in love
And you're the answer to my prayers from up above
All we need is just the two of us
My dreams came true because of you
~ Shaina Twain ~ From This Moment ~
***
"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity." 
~ Henry Van
Great quote and I only realized how each moment takes on a different dimension after being confronted with something like cancer.  When you are diagnosed with the disease and embark on a roller coaster of emotions, from anger to disbelief, you have the almost-stopped and dream like quality of time.
Living in the here and now ... the present.  Shifts you to live in the minute, moment by moment.  Since too much of our effort goes into wishing what was, or what is to be, we don't take the opportunity to live in the moment, whether it is good or bad. After all, time will never go faster or slower. It's only our perception of time that changes.
My current journey with breast cancer is primarily managed with a positive outlook on life.  Deep in my core, I always believed I would beat it ... with the odd doubt creeping in, I knew that this would not be the end of me.  And although not all my moments are nice ones, I realize that in those dark times and sad episodes, there has been opportunities.  There's the opportunity to really search inside my heart, mind and soul and sort through why this has happened ... leading to quite a personal transformation.  There's also the opportunity to make room for my loved ones and real friends ... enabling us to deepen our bond, cherish what we have, laugh, and rejoice.  
And then there's the most important opportunity of all. The realization that I can choose to appreciate every moment I have.  In between all that time I once wished away can be found so many small joys. There are little packages of happiness tucked away in all those little places that I wouldn’t have noticed if I was too intent on making my hurried way. And the realization of this is the gift that I, along with many other cancer survivors, share with you.  
There is a cliche saying “live life to the fullest.”  I’ve probably referred to this many times on this blog.  And although this saying is nice to state, it actually implies a deficiency in your life in the here and now.  How so?  Well we get caught up in what our lives could be or how much better our lives could be if only ... but my truth is living and knowing that my life is interesting just as it is right now.  
I often think If I were to view my life as a movie, I would be amazed of my internal struggles, my daily routines, my powerful potential, my interactions with others, my surroundings and my amazing growth.  My life is richer, I am stronger & I LOVE my life.

So celebrate these wonderful moments because every one of them is LIFE.  And as challenging as it may be, consciously choose to slow down, take in and appreciate them ... as we never know when it will be our last.


No comments:

Post a Comment