Saturday, May 4, 2013

" The Static Age ... "


Can you hear the sound of the static noise,
blasting out in stereo?
Cater to the class and the paranoid,
music to my nervous system
Advertising love and religion,
murder on the airwaves
Slogans on the brink of corruption

Billboard on the rise in the dawn's landscape, 
working your insanity ...
Squeezing out your state of mind
Are what you own that you cannot buy

I can't see a thing in the video
I can't hear a sound on the radio
in stereo in the static age

~ Green Day ~ The Static Age ~
***

I love the saying “you’re only as old as you feel”.  It gives me an excuse not to act my age.  Because I really do think age is just a number and not a state of mind.

So what does it mean to “act your age”?  I mean, who is the guru or swami of age, telling all how to “act”?  I am sure we all know people of the same age and they act completely different ... usually one has more fun than the other ... one plays more than the other.  And yes there is something about aging gracefully but does that mean just “fitting in” with all the people who got there before you?

I believe we have to make the opportunity to play every day, even for a moment or two.  I mean, why go through life, taking no chances, avoiding danger, only to arrive safely at death?

Luckily I have a few people in my life that are older and have forgotten how old they are ... and it is the coolest thing ever.  I assume they wake up in the morning feeling every muscle and joint in their body.  Maybe they look in the mirror and see a reflection that isn’t quite what it used to be.  And possibly they have to take a handful of pills before breakfast.  But the beauty is that the don’t care.  You see they won’t listen to anyone that tells them they are too old to enjoy life ... they are the ones that have found what we all want ~ pure joy.

Although Russell and I are not parents ourselves, we have been fortunate to be around children most of our lives.  I say fortunate because children continue to teach us how to laugh and play and sing and use our imagination and just see the magic in life that is waiting to be embraced.  Children have no sense of time or age ... they are truly present in the moment, the perfect place.

We all know that inevitably, our physical bodies will age.  Yet growing old is a matter of choice.  Rediscover the child within you and take time to play, yes PLAY!  Because play is one of those pleasurable activities that is underestimated.  Play recharges us, improves our outlook, and lets us just let go and BE.  So take the time and just BE fun and remember that ...

“we don’t stop laughing because we grow old, 
we grow old because we stop laughing ...”





No comments:

Post a Comment