Behold the beauty that surrounds us
See the wonders we take for granted
Roam the world in all her glory
Sail the seas and climb the mountains
Discover things you never knew
Be happy that you're alive
So many reasons to remain
So many people to embrace
So many stories to be told
So many errors to correct
Turn your gaze towards the moon
Even further if you dare
Turn your face towards the sun
And be grateful that it's there
~ Covenant ~ Humility ~
Unbelievable ... Wild ... Unreal ... Never before ... This doesn’t happen here ... OMG ... probably capture the feelings and attitude at the moment in Calgary. With continuous rains and a weather system that won’t move on, we are experiencing the worst flooding ever in this city ... mass evacuations, road closures, school closures, office closures .... And after living here all of my life, I can say I don’t remember anything quite like this ... this is OUR natural disaster.
Natural disasters, Act of God, or Mother Nature’s fury some may say ... the intersection of the average and the extraordinary; when we are expected to be average in extraordinary conditions. You see operate on thinking, forecasting and planning for average. And then we are shocked when conditions are not. Yet we must remember that our Creator is anything but average, that is if you believe. Perhaps he displays his power with in this way ... to see how ordinary will cope using love, compassion and heroism.
“We stand in mute shock at witnessing the forces of nature
beyond our control or even our imagination ... “
When our natural habitats are affected, we are being reminded that our lives are no more or less than anyone elses. It can happen anywhere, anytime ... whether it be on the other side of the world, or in your own backyard. The overwhelming forces of nature make a mockery of humankind’s efforts at taming them ... forcing us to surrender to its wrathful and destructive unpredictability.
Yet, if we allow these moments to bring introspection and lead us to an understanding of the necessity of humility and kindness in our lives ... then this natural disaster, unwanted and inexplicable as it is, may have value for each of us.
“ Situations seem to happen to people, but in reality, they unfold from deeper karmic causes. The universe unfolds to itself, bringing to bear any cause that needs to be included. Don’t take this process personally. The working out of cause and effect is eternal. You are part of this rising and falling that never ends, and only by riding the wave can you ensure that the waves don’t drown you.”
~ Deepak Chopra
- Nature teaches us to resist nothing and to just allow things to happen as they are meant to happen. We can’t force anything, we only think we can.
- Nature teaches us to let go of our expectations, the need to play out how things should happen, how people should behave, how not to be so cruel and how life should not be so unfair
- Nature teaches us to forgive and forget. We realize what matters and how holding grudges is such a waste of time.
- Nature teaches us to be patient. We can’t fight the forces, we can only pray and wait for the storm to pass, all while practicing patience with self and the people around us.
- Nature teaches us how to feel compassionate towards every living being affected by the fury of Mother Nature ... we are all ONE.
- Nature teaches us nothing is ours to keep, not our expensive homes, luxurious cars and not even the lives of our family and friends ... letting go of attachments.
- Nature teaches us to build our castles in the sky and not here on the physical level. As we continue on our journey to feel superior, we may forget about doing good more than making money.
- Nature teaches us that we are all equal. Disasters affect the poor AND the wealthy. There is no separation except for the one we create in our minds. Help yourself and those around you ... and help Mother Nature.
Earth is our HOME. The way you treat yourself, the way you treat others and the way you treat this planet has a huge impact on each and everyone of us. Continue to open your arms, open your hearts and open your home because we belong to each other ...