Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Technologic ..."

"Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it,
Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it,
Surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it,
Cross it, crack it, twitch - update it,
Name it, rate it, tune it, print it,
Scan it, send it, fax - rename it,

Technologic, Technologic"
~ Daft Punk ~ Technologic
***

I decided to take a break from technology the last few days.  Well as much as possible.  Still randomly checking emails and facebook, but not having my laptop on all the time waiting for a "ping" or a notification "you have mail".  And I realized it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  I was starting to get a bit put off by always being connecting ... waiting, wondering and replying.  But since my therapy is so intense, my contact to the outside world really is via phone or web, especially out of town family and friends.  Yet, if someone wants to really get a hold of you, speak to you and hear you voice ... they will just do it the old fashion way ... see you in person.  And if you read my last blog, I was pretty much solo over the weekend with Russell away at Shambhala.  Besides a wonderful visit (Thanks Sofia), a wonderful phone message (thanks Anita!), attempts to get together (thanks Monica!), and a great healing session (Thanks Jolene!) ... I had a chance to just keep myself company doing other things rather than plugging in.  So I turned down the phone and computer and ... I tended to our garden, went for walks, read, meditated, yoga and slept.  
There were times I felt a bit alone, but I had a chance to be still and find a place of serenity.  

One thing I did realize is that one of our popular social mediums, Facebook, has stirred up some negativity and agitation within me.  Really because I get a chance to see what others are doing and what I am restricted to not do.  And it's not a childish way of thinking as right now, it's a fact of life for me.  And really, Facebook is voyeurism at its best.  Hmmmmmmm let's see, do you have any friends that insist on updating you on every minute detail, perhaps over exposing themselves ... only to have their fan club entourage bless their behaviour?  I could go an entire day surfing aka snooping on profiles of my "Friends" and see how has how many likes ... like OMG or LMFAO .... I guess for me it was just too much, I got my fill and needed that "Technologic" break from being a web "junkie" ... a simple timeout!

So obviously now I am plugging back in ... but deciding to keep things in check and not overexpose myself to the technology around me.  I feel revived, refreshed and have a bit of different perspective on re-connecting.  Oh, and on a side note, I want to thank the everyone for the beautiful feedback I receive when I blog.  Your kind words, encouragement, love and support have touched my heart.  And I am moved by how positively my blogs have effected you.  So no worries, I am still alive (whoops, sorry I guess not that funny?!) ... just took a web break, but am back and better!  
And, there are a few things I read to help me with this going forward ...

  1.  Knowing exactly what I want to do online ... Blogging, Emailing, Researching Products, etc
  2.  Disconnecting when I am done what I wanted to do
  3.  Get away from my laptop and change my environment

Three simple steps that make a difference.  I realized that excessive connectivity can create a false urgency where I needed to know what's happening all the time.  Surfing the net can be fun, but it can also lead you into a black hole and waste numerous precious hours you could spend on something far more important ... YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment