Monday, March 4, 2013

" Reflect ... "



There are pivotal moments in our lives that we will never forget. They define us.  Approaching two years on my current therapy programme, I decided to reflect back as to where I was and how far I have come ...



At the age of 41, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The treatment plan: mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation. Excuse me? Could you repeat that please? My thoughts ... you must be mistaken, these are two wee lumps. How could this be happening ... cancer happens, but it doesn’t happen to me?

While I awaited the ‘results’ of my biopsy, I consulted Dr Google. I read the testimonials and stories of how others had cured themselves of cancer naturally. I also read horror stories of heartless doctors who’d hexed their patients with a dismal prognosis. I was fortunate to be surrounded by compassion. My doctor told me, “whatever you do, do it quickly”.

With those words ringing in my head, I made the decision to shift from a place of fear and uncertainty to a place of health and happiness. I knew the statistics surrounding conventional therapy and I realized that if I wanted a fighting chance, I had to help my body to heal. I made the decision to embark on the Gerson Therapy.

The Gerson Therapy is a two year minimum program of intense detoxification and nutritional super-charging of our bodies’ immune system. By switching to an organic, vegan diet, raw juices, coffee enemas and natural supplements, our bodies become equipped to heal themselves.

With my treatment path decided, I hoped and prayed to be accepted into the Gerson authorized clinic in Tijuana. I diligently provided the necessary paperwork and anxiously awaited to hear if I was in. It reminded me of when I was waiting to hear if I had been accepted into engineering school 20 years ago. I was told that there may be a waiting list, as many were interested. Then the call came. I was accepted into the clinic immediately, with the recommendation of three weeks. The reason for this: the doctors wanted to administer a laetrile (B17) IV for three weeks, the standard for those with my type of cancer.

Instead of relief, I hesitated. This was it. Did I really want to dedicate a minimum of two years of my life to this? Honestly speaking, I wanted to bury my head in the sand. Thankfully, my husband took charge and confirmed treatment, commencing on March 7, 2011.

There is not a direct flight from our home in Calgary, Canada to Tijuana and my husband had never been to San Diego, our connection point to Tijuana, so we decided to make a little vacation prior to the program. We were like tourists, enjoying the sites, the foods and each other’s company. My ‘last supper’ was an exquisite Mexican meal in Old Town, and I haven’t eaten anything outside of the Gerson menu since.

Waiting for the shuttle the next morning, I felt anxious. My stomach cried for food as I could not have breakfast, a preparation for giving blood and urine samples. Fear and doubt joined my anxiety and crowded out my high hopes ... what am I doing? Is this the right thing? What if I am wrong? What if I can’t do this? I comforted myself by thinking that this was just a ‘blip’ on the long path of life ... 

READ MORE: 


No comments:

Post a Comment