Friday, October 21, 2011

"Tea In The Sahara ..."

"My sisters and I
Have this wish before we die
And it may sound strange
As if our minds are deranged
Please don't ask us why
Beneath the sheltering sky
We have this strange obsession
You have the means in your possession

We want our tea in the Sahara with you
We want our tea in the Sahara with you"

~ Sting ~ Tea In The Sahara ~
***

Today I had the pleasure of sharing a cup of tea with a loving friend.  I love visits, they sure do make my day.  And it was not just an ordinary tea we shared, it was Tulsi tea.  I was fortunate to have my Mom give Russell and I this plant which we have growing in a pot near our kitchen window.  Growing up, I knew about the Tulsi plant, mainly because of references made in bollywood movies nicely wrapped with some religious connection.  And I would admire it from afar every time we visited my parent's home.  My Mom is very proud of her Tulsi plant and then one lucky day, she gave me one to grow and nuture.  Yaay me!

So what is Tulsi you may be wondering?  Well, Tulsi (Hindi: तुलसीis also known as the "Holy Basil".  It is an aromatic plant ... considered widespread as a cultivated plant and an escaped weed.  It grows tall with hairy stems and simple opposite green leaves that are strongly scented.  Tulsi is cultivated for religious and medicinal purposes, and for its essential oil.  It is widely used across South Asia as a medicinal plant and an herbal tea.  Commonly used in Ayurveda, it has an important role within the tradition of Hinduism, in which devotees perform worship involving Tulsi plants or leaves.  India recognizes this sacred herb because of its health benefits and healing properties.

So what's all the healing hubbub about?  ...  Well, Tulsi is known for its rich antioxidant properties that are known to promote wellness by building the body's immune system, reducing stress and promoting mental clarity.  By protecting cells from the damage caused by free radicals, Tulsi facilitates the cause and progression of various types of dis-eases; basically inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.  And on a daily basis, Tulsi can help with infections from viruses, bacteria and fungi.  Sounds pretty cool eh?

So why not give it a go?  Perhaps skip that coffee and try out some Tulsi tea.  Pop down to your local organic food store and explore the tea section.  There a loads of brands to choose from.  And remember, above all else, it tastes so SO good, especially on a gorgeous fall day with a loving friend ... ahh BLISS!





No comments:

Post a Comment