Monday, December 8, 2014

" Reflection ... "

Look at me 
You may think you see 
Who I really am 
But you'll never know me 
Every day 
It's as if I play a part 
Now I see 
If I wear a mask 
I can fool the world 
But I cannot fool my heart 

Who is that girl I see 
Staring straight back at me? 
When will my reflection show 
Who I am inside? 


~ Christina Aguilera ~ Reflection ~



For the month of December, my spiritual teacher has asked us to focus on Reflection.  Reflecting back on where we were and how far we have come.  And personally, this has allowed me to reflect on death so that I may gain an understanding of the preciousness of this life and how to make it meaningful.

Meditation teaches us to be mindful of breathing practices so that they can help us develop more concentration and calmness.  This calmness is the foundation for reflection.  But what really is reflection?  Reflection is a slightly different perspective every time you look back … 


“Imagine that you are standing in front of a calm lake. The lake is still and tranquil, and you can see the reflections of the further shore. You take a tiny pebble, and toss it into the midst of the reflections with respect, as if it were an offering to the ancient gods that live in the depths of the waters. The stone plops into the water, and disappears without trace, leaving behind waves of concentric ripples.  Each ripple presents you with a slightly different perspective on the reflections of the other shore. You watch the ripples radiating from the place where the stone vanished, as they widen and fade and eventually disappear altogether. Then once the lake’s surface is still once more, the reflections have returned to normal, and you toss in another offering “


What we know about death is that no one escapes it, it is definite and usually comes at an unexpected time.  This unknown brings us into the now ... no possession will help us, and no loved one can save us it.  I believe that every action of our body, mind and speech creates pathways in our brains which has the potential to ripen as future happiness or suffering, depending on whether the action was positive or negative.  



These imprints remain in the mind until they ripen 
or until they are purified or cleansed by spiritual practices ... 
This process in known as the law of karma.



Do we fear death or do we fear no living fully?  Do we just fear life will rob us of time with our children, our parents, our spouses, our friends?  If we have more time, what would we do differently?  If we can do it now, why don’t we?  What is holding us back?  What are we really afraid of?

Even if we do the same thing over and over again, every experience is unique,  and it is deeply fulfilling to experience the uniqueness of each precious moment.  It is within these precious moments, our purpose is revealed to us.  It is within these precious moments, infinite possibilities exists.


This process of self reflection has provided me a way to become aware of what is really holding me back.  It is one of the best ways to attain clarity and empowerment.  Through stillness, I hope for room to observe what continues to influence me, what I am dissatisfied with and what I want to change.



“ … to doubt everything, or to believe everything, are two equally convenient solutions; 
both dispense with the necessity of reflection … “ 
~ Henri Poincare





No comments:

Post a Comment